Pops of yellow brighten up this simple space in Raina & Robert’s Modern Farmhouse Makeover. A case of the blues never looked so great; this kitchen was featured in the now-defunct 101 Wonideeën (now vtwonen).
Pretty in pink goes modern in this space featured on decor8. Pendants are minty fresh in this kitchen by SVK Interior Design… …and this one from Vita Ranunkler. Sunny yellow will make you smile when you walk into a kitchen like this one from Better Homes and Gardens.
Kelly green lights really stand out in this kitchen in Traditional Home.
1. Kinfolk 2. Copper fixtures in a home from Stadshem 3. Design Love Fest 4. A Brooklyn home from Lonny 5. A lovely fixture by Lindsey Adelman
27. A slender brass light juxtaposes a monolithic waterfall island in the home of Julia and Matt Stephenson.
22. Metallic ceiling fixtures, like these copper spheres we spotted on L’ Appartement Living, transform a whitewashed kitchen into a modern minimalist scene in seconds.
9. Anna Bond’s home on A Cup of Jo is serious #goals, and while there are so many, many things we could pull out to talk about here, for the sake of this post, we’ll note the task-style wall sconces. A bit unexpected, and oh so wonderful.
18. If you’re going to do one clamp sconce, why not go ahead and try multiple? A clean line of clamped anglepoise-style lights installed above the kitchen sink (like these pendant sconces we spotted on Appunti di Casa) provides plenty of light for food prep for a fraction of the cost of swankier sconces.
Shop the Look: Sleeping Partners Pendant Chandelier at Bed Bath and Beyond, $72
Shop the Look: Millennium Lighting RDBC10-SB at Lighting Direct, $66
Shop the Look: Ceiling Light Pendant Hanging Fixture at Amazon, $44
Shop the Look: 8-Light Kitchen Island Pendant at Wayfair, $349.99
Who said you have to pick one light? If you decide on just one shape or size, mix things up with a grouping of the same type, or make a big impact with smaller lights by getting a cluster. Sometimes more is more when it comes to lights.
31. You can’t really spot them in this image, but above the black-and-white pendants and pothos-filled rack in Joe and Kim’s kitchen hides two run-of-the-mill builder-grade flush mounts. This is such a smart way to cover something you don’t love without ripping it out!
What is a light fixture, anyway? If you boil it down to its very essence, it’s just a light bulb, connected to a cord. We’re seeing a lot of fixtures that celebrate this kind of simplicity, by paring a lamp down to its very simplest elements, and then finding ways of making these simple elements dramatic and special.
Shop the Look: Carmen 4-light Pendan at Birch Lane, $87 (plus hot pink spray paint!)
16. A pair of basket-style woven pendant lights brings texture and visual interest to an airy earth-toned kitchen, like in Carina’s kitchen on Apartment Therapy.
32. Modernize your entire kitchen with one eye-catching light fixture (or a few to make it look robust), like these hanging pendants we saw on Domino.
8. You don’t often think of bringing table lamps into a kitchen, but when your overhead lighting just isn’t cutting it, the home of Tiffany Pratt proves it totally works. Keep the lamp delicate and thin as not to take up too much valuable counter space.
30. Open shelving gives you the room to load up on super chic sconces, and we’re loving the mix of black and gold in this space from Studio McGee.
This simple light featured on decor8 is three times better than one. A grouping at different heights adds interest in this LSA Architects kitchen found via HomeDSGN. Clear globes float like bubbles in Bree & Andy’s DC Home Hits The Bright Spot.
Simple bulbs make a big impact in a group in this kitchen by Karpaty Cabinets. White shades in different sizes for the win in a 2011 issue of est magazine, spotted on Chic Deco.
Who said the kitchen can’t be a glamorous place? Adding some fancy flare to an already glam kitchen—or as contrast in a simple kitchen—creates lots of interest. Make the chandelier shine as the main design feature in your kitchen.
Shop the Look: Globe Electric Black Vintage Adjustable Plug-In Pendant (Set of 3) at Lighting Direct, $39
33. It’s hard to pick out one showstopper in this stunning kitchen by Veneer Designs on My Domaine, but if you pull our arm, it would definitely have to be that gorgeous, peculiar chandelier over the island. It doesn’t come cheap (as we can’t imagine this kitchen does), but it sure does make a statement.
20. If you’re looking for a way to liven up a bland white kitchen, consider a single pendant lamp in a sprightly color, like the one we saw on Stephan and Amy Saxton’s home tour.
Shop the Look: Industrial Mini Pendant Light in Bare Bulb Style at Beautiful Halo, $29
Lighting isn’t just good for brightening up a room — you want it to look good, too, even when it’s not turned on. We’ve been keeping an eye on the direction of lighting styles for a while now, and here are five of our favorite trends.
Shop the Look: Sculptural Glass 7-Light Linear Chandelier at West Elm, $558
35. Jar-style ceiling lights, like these we spotted on Meg, Joe, & Wells Piercy’s home tour, balance out an ultra modern kitchen with a slightly rustic touch.
21. For a full-on glam look, pair gold sconces and antique brass pendant lights together, but keep things modern with black hardware and other fixtures like we saw in this kitchen from Domino).
Shop the Look: Ivanhoe Sky Chief Warehouse Porcelain Pendant at Barn Light Electric Co., $153
Shop the Look: Globe Electric Multi-Joint Metal Clamp Desk Lamp in Black at Bed Bath and Beyond, $20
Add something shiny to your kitchen with a touch of copper, brass, rose gold, or silver for a modern pop that can work with any style.
25. Who could have something bad to say about track lighting when it looks like the unit in this kitchen spotted on My Domaine.
13. A metallic globe light, like this silver ball we spotted in Kelly Ransom’s kitchen, modernizes a traditional kitchen with its sophisticated silhouette and bold finish.
Give your kitchen an industrial touch by letting your cords show in the best way possible; you can really have some fun and create a beautiful lighting mess. Hang them directly from the ceiling—or, get them all wrapped up on a rod for a more cohesive look, as in these great examples.
Shop the Look: Geometric Tri LED Pendant at Design Within Reach, $1,990
26. In the market for a Scandi-style light fixture that supplies plenty of overhead light for your kitchen? Gooseneck track lights such as these in Claes and Melinda’s home tour, look ultra modern and minimalist but provide ample kitchen lighting.
This chandelier is a delicate dose of glam in this simple, neutral kitchen from DESIGNMAG via Design Love Fest There’s glam from floor to ceiling in this luxe Interior HomeScapes kitchen. A chandelier provides a pop of minty freshness in this kitchen by Amie Corley Interiors.
Look up! This chandelier makes a huge statement in this Jessica Helgerson Interior Design kitchen. Major glam can work in a cozy space, as seen in Shana’s Glamorous Custom Kitchen. Black cupboards and a serious chandelier create drama in a farmhouse kitchen featured in House Beautiful.
A capiz shell chandelier brings a beachy look to a fresh and bright kitchen in Better Homes and Gardens
36. A clean row of compact metallic pendants, like these small but shapely ones from Ben and Viv’s home tour, brightens up a neutral kitchen without sacrificing the laidback vibes.
One thing you’ll notice as you peruse the pictures we’ve chosen is that there’s a lot of overlap between these categories. Taken together, these five trends provide a pretty clear picture of the current direction of lighting design.
Shop the Look: Selamat Justina Blakeney Fela Tassel Chandelier at Shop Candelabra, $194
No matter what size your kitchen may be, you should put stock in the ability that an unexpected (and super stylish) light fixture can have to up the personality of your space. From eye-catching chandeliers to hard-working sconces, read ahead for unique kitchen lighting ideas (plus shoppable get-the-look comps) that will have you thinking twice about your outdated track lights.
6. Love the functionality of the track lighting in your kitchen but in need of a more modern look? This clever DIY from Lauren and Danny’s home tour proves all you need is the right adapter and some bare bulbs for an updated track lighting scheme.
4. A fringed chandelier, like this Victorian-style one we spotted on Thomas Rook, is a fun way to play with texture in your kitchen.
1. Petite Friture’s scene-stealing Vertigo lamp comes in black, white, and even copper. 2. Dramatic lighting in a bedroom from My Domaine. 3. Here’s the Vertigo again, in a space from Woon Blog. 4. The Arco lamp, a timeless classic, in a space from Vartnya Hem via Design Elements
Break tradition and take your lighting off the ceiling! Put it on the wall instead, and use sconces to light your kitchen. They’re great because they make for perfect task lighting and—depending on what style you pick—can be unexpected and unique design features.
1. The sconce is often overlooked for places other than a hallway or bedside table. It can really add a nice unexpected touch to a space like the kitchen. Take a cue from Caroline Kilmartin’s home tour on Domino and employ a single brass sconce to shed some light on your kitchen shelving and liven up an all-white scene.
Shop the Look: Isaac Sconce Brass (Short Arm) at Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co., $199
2. Matte black and overscale pendants stand out in this all-white kitchen, yet tie in the faucet and dining chairs in the nearby dining area.
Shop the Look: Curvilinear Mid-Century Sconce, Double, Black at West Elm, $299
14. A sculptural light fixture, like this sputnik-style flush mount chandelier we saw on Nordic Design, brings an artful element to a neutral kitchen.
Shop the Look: Ellerbe Sconce at Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co., $229
Cords are wrapped charmingly around a bracket in this kitchen from sköna hem found via HomeEdit. Industrial lights from Home Depot are, fittingly, wound around a pipe. Dainty cords are draped and knotted in this kitchen by BLACKBIRD found via Simply Grove.
Wrapping the cords makes it easy to hang lights at different heights—and adjust them in the future—in this kitchen by Soma Architekci. The tangle of cords in this kitchen by Kasia Orwat Home Design (found via Contemporist) plays well with the graphic nature of the space.
Cords are cleverly hung over the rafters in this kitchen featured in Inside Out found via desire to inspire. A cord-wrapped rod breaks up the kitchen’s white wall in this home available from ENTRANCE found via Apartment Therapy.
7. Here’s a nearly identical look from One Fine Stay but, but we love that they’re suspended over the kitchen sink instead of island.
A pop of blue/grey looks great in this kitchen from Made in Persbo. Movable sconces offer flexibility in this kitchen designed by Blakes London. Traditional sconces, as seen in Better Homes and Gardens, look modern when grouped.
Great-looking lighting right over the sink is always helpful, as in this kitchen from Mazen Studio. A row of sconces lights up this entire Heather Bullard kitchen found via Marcus Design. Stovetop cooking is made easier with sconces in this kitchen by Veranda Interiors.
Classy brass sconces and hardware gleam in an otherwise-white kitchen from Studio McGee.
Shop the Look: Essence Linear Suspension at Lightology, $339
5. This crystal and gold stunner we saw on Style Me Pretty creates a luxe kitchen scene that draws from the room’s metallic hardware.
Lamps with a sleek, industrial look, by designers like Jean Prouvé and Serge Mouille, are cropping up all over.
Apartment Therapy supports our readers with carefully chosen product recommendations to improve life at home. You support us through our independently chosen links, many of which earn us a commission.
Shop the Look: Copper Shade Pendant Lamp at France & Son, $89
12. An eye-catching pendant in a bright hue, like this geometrical one on Style Me Pretty, turns a classic white kitchen into a cool place to hang out in no time.
Whether you’re a true color lover or just looking for a pop in your otherwise-neutral space, consider adding some color with your light fixture. Stick with a simple design, but don’t hold back with your color choice.
Shop the Look: Gooseneck Black Linear Track Head at Home Depot, $29
19. Shapely pendant lamps in the same color palette as the rest of your kitchen, like these white ones from Mim Design, make a stylish statement without distracting from the rest of the scene.
Gold, brass, copper, and even rose gold have been a huge trend in home decor lately, and nowhere is that more true than for lighting.
If you’re building from scratch or about to embark on a reno, you know that the kitchen is kinda a big deal. There are a million decisions to make—including choosing the perfect lighting. Kitchen lighting has to be practical, but you want it to look good so you can show off the rest of your fab kitchen. And if you’re in a rental or just looking to freshen up your current kitchen, changing the lights can have a big impact. Here are 6 super stylish lighting ideas to get things cooking.
15. While surely you could fit a slender pendant anyway, sometimes in a space this compact, a flush mount is the way to go to not further cramp up the small space, as in Sara Blake’s kitchen.
Shop the Look: Spiral Glass Jar Ceiling Light at Overstock, $115
34. A cool wood light fixture transforms the standard kitchen island in Cathy and Tony’s home into swanky breakfast nook.
1. Jean Prouvé’s Potence lamp, in an interior by Luis Laplace. 2. The Potence again, paired with Prouvé’s standard chairs. 3. A Serge Mouille fixture in an interior from My Domaine. 4. Design Sponge 5. The Potence again, in a kitchen spotted on Desire to Inspire
The move towards minimalism doesn’t mean there isn’t room for a little drama, as these fixtures prove.
Shop the Look: Antique Brass Nautical LED Pendant Light with Frosted Diffuser at Beautiful Halo, $127
11. We think a shapely paper lantern similar to the one we spotted on Ute and Steven Faure’s home tour brings depth and definition to a lofty open kitchen layout without sacrificing the space’s airy vibes.
1. Vintage House Daylesford 2. Entrance 3. Decor8 4. Bolig 5. A lamp from Etsy seller Object & Light
Shop the Look: Mirror Ball Pendant Light 10” at France & Son, $125
28. If your sink is against a wall (or better yet, a picture window), consider adding a sconce just above the area. A small pendant or even a sconce similar to the one here from Style Me Pretty provides just enough light without distracting from the room’s other interesting fixtures.
29. Forge some subtle definition for your earth-toned kitchen by suspending a single pendant lamp (in the same finish as your other kitchen fixtures) above your sink as we saw in Rachael and Rob’s Philadelphia home.
23. A trio of shapely brass pendants brings a bold graphic element to a room full of box-like shapes like the kitchen. While the ones in this space from Domino are likely Tom Dixon’s super $$$ Beat Lights, the idea to mix and match shapes and sizes is one to inspire shaking things up.
How To Do Kitchen Lighting Now: A Style Guide to Six On-Trend Ideas
3. A tiny kitchen is no match for an eye-catching chandelier. Bring instant glamour and drama to even the smallest of kitchens with a swanky crystal chandelier, like we spotted in this home tour.
10. Classic white subway tile gets a modern upgrade when paired with two gold-accented wall sconces. The clear glass domes in this kitchen makeover from Domino keep things upbeat but not visually cluttered.
Shop the Look: Juliette Gold with Black Shade Buffet Table Lamp Set of 2 at Lamps Plus, $80
Copper globes glow in this kitchen in this kitchen from L’Appartemant Living. Half-brass globes are wholly beautiful in this kitchen by Caitlin Wilson Design found via Rue. Pops of copper hold their own in this bright green kitchen by Bestor Architecture discovered via The Kitchn.
A copper trio featured in Lonny was spotted on Blood and Champagne. Big, silver globes are available from Knoll. A golden touch warms this kitchen spotted on HGTV.
24. A far-reaching double sconce, like this one in a kitchen from SF Girl by Bay, moves from dining table to kitchen sink with ease.
Shop the Look: 4 Spotlight Ceiling Track Light at Houzz $256
17. This lighting solution in particular is specifically inspiring for anyone who doesn’t want to hardwire a sconce to a wall. A clamp light like the one in this scene from Domino can go anywhere you see fit and looks unexpectedly styling while doing so.